Monday, January 15, 2007

Two Up

Well, two out of four is, I suppose, fifty percent. And that's what I got this weekend, though I was 100% last week, bringing my playoff score to 6-2. Where did I go wrong?

Indy at Baltimore
Prediction: Ravens 28-17
Result: Colts 15-6

I think I over-estimated the Ravens offense in this one. The Colts shut down the Chiefs the previous week, and they shut down the Ravens this week. Good for them. At least, when their season ends next week, they can say their defense played two good games.

What really cheeses me here is that former Patriot Adam Vinatieri kicked five figgies that won this for Indy. Why couldn't they have stayed with the now-unemployed Vander-shank? It's just not fun rooting against Adam. We have too many great memories together.

Seattle at Chicago:
Prediction: Hawks 22-19
Result: Bears 27-24

This was a belated instance of justice fulfilled. The Hawks should have lost to the Cowboys last week. They prevailed because of the second North Dallas Forty ending this year - which is astounding. The holder dropped the snap on a chippie to win, and that was the season. Well, not now. I think this Bears team would have beaten the Cowboys as well, so justice will out.

Here's what I got right:

Eagles at Saints:

Prediction: Saints 27-24
Result: Saints 27-24

What can I say? A stopped clock is right twice a day, too.

Pats at Chargers:

Prediction: Pats 35-14
Result: Pats 24-21.

That was one of the great games in team history, and that's saying something for a franchise with three Super Bowl wins in five years, and a best-ever 21 game winning streak. The coaches stepped up to make the right adjustments. The players made the plays in crunch time when it mattered, and the great Tom Brady produced when he had to. Just a complete tour de force.

I hope Bush can remember "Coach Bill's" name this time around...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have listened to your picks. You had the Eagles losing by 3, but I was pretty certain they would lose by more (at least 5!) - oh well. I'm now 1-1 in the money games. 6-2 and is a nice spot to be in after the first 2 weeks of the playoffs. Now is where it gets tough. Chicago stinks, but New Orleans' defensive backs looked so bad against the Eagles that even Rex Grossman might be able to hit a receiver or two. There were at least 5-6 pass plays for the Eagles where there were no Saints even on the tv screen until the Eagle started running with the ball. I think the Saints cinderella story might come to an end. As for the Pats, this game makes me nervous. The Pats d-backs were out-classed last time around against the Colts but I'm sure they'll be studying that film this week. What really makes me nervous is the fact that they have Vinateri now. If they didn't have Vinateri last week, there is a decent chance they don't even make it to this week. Adam doesn't just hit the pressure kicks in the playoffs - he hits them right down the middle. The 51 yarder was a little outside his range, but all the others were dead center - the Colts look more confident as a team with that guy as the kicker and it would make a pretty good story for him to have a chance to decide this week's game. Maybe we should pick up Venderjagt this week?

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home