Monday, January 08, 2007

4-0

Well then. 4-0 on my football predictions - not too shabby. My anonymous commenter hit it huge by calling that the Eagles-Giants game would be decided by a figgie in the last two minutes. I hope he made some money on that one.

For my part, I got some things more right than others. I had Seattle winning 38-31, but that was way too many points (actual score 21-20), and the Hawks only won on a North Dallas Forty ending. Which is bizarre, because Denver was eliminated from the playoffs 21-20 on a NDF ending earlier in the season. I've never seen that before in the NFL, and it happened twice this year.

I had Philly winning by way too many, and the Lone Commenter nailed it. I'll still take the win, of course.

The Colts 23-8 win was substantially different from the 31-28 win I had in mind for them. Holding Larry Johnson to 44 rushing yards is something of a miracle. I'm sure there were fewer atheists in Indy come Sunday morning.

For the Pats, it was not the laugher I had hoped for. It was a tense and competitive game - until the fourth quarter. The Championship Quarter. The Patriots Quarter.

Here's what I said before the game:

But I also get the feeling that the score will be closer than the game. Mangini has proven that he can keep his gang together in tough times. They are 25th on offense and 20th on defense (worse than Seattle or Buffalo). But they will find a way to hang around on the scoreboard, if not the field, until the 4th quarter. I get the feeling that Belichick will not call off the dogs with a 4th quarter lead. Look for extra points dropping in, needed or not.

Patriots - 41-17

Actual result: close game until the 4th, final score: 37-16.

Not too shabby. I'll do predictions for the Divisional Round later in the weem but here's a preview:

Patriots to win.

Super Bowl, Baby!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You definitely had a nice opening week of the playoffs. Unfortunately I didn't put my money behind my Eagles pick, but my Dallas will blow-out the Seahawks pick did win me $50, even though I was pretty far off about the outcome (good thing for that -3 point spread). I'm looking forward to this weekends pick - my money is leaning towards Indy getting 4 at Baltimore, but I also kind of like the Seahawks getting 8 1/2 against a Chicago D that hasn't looked dominant in about 2 months. The problem with that is that Seattle really is terrible, as are almost all of the NFC teams right now.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home