Sunday, January 01, 2006

Two Years

I started blogging two years ago. I didn't know for sure what I wanted to write, but I've always fancied myself a writer, so I gave it a whack. I'm more or less pleased with the results. I've written most weekdays over that time. I 'covered' the vicious and divisive 2004 election campaign. I think I've expressed some of the incredulity that most progressives feel about the radical takeover of America by rightist revolutionaries.

Originally, I thought I'd write about stuff like management, since that is my profession. But management is about people, and I didn't want to write about the people I manage even without naming namers, because their issues are too personal, and while my readership remains at the sub-fingers-on-a-hand level, I didn't want to compromise them even at that level.

And when you talk about management issues in the abstract, you lose all your meaning. At its best, management at any level is about people. Good managers can manage anything, because they don't manage the job, they manage the people doing the job.

Anyway, I'd flirted with the idea of a personal blog as well. I thought maybe I'd try writing personal stuff anonymously as a catharsis of sorts. But I'm no more comfortable writing about myself (even anonymously) than I am talking about myself. So forget that.

I've always said that the career I would choose, if I had a choice, would be 'political columnist.' Since that's not happening in real life, blogging is an interesting substitute. I get to write the stuff I want whenever I want and it gets published. So for all the ballpayers and paid writers out there who say "I love this and I'd do it for free," well, you I would.

My only regret as a blogger (aside from the fact that nobody's showing any signs of wanting to pay me) is that I haven't developed a readership in two years of steady work. That's probably due to the other voice out there - however entertaining I may or may not be, I'm only one voice in millions. Still, I'd like to get out more any maybe I'll start pushing this link to more readers somehow.

Happy New Year! On to Year Three!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home